JenO's Pictures and Conversation

Alice: "What is the use of a book, without pictures or conversations?"

Friday, August 27, 2010

My Science Autobiography


I became an avid fan of science in elementary school. Learning all the facts and labels was very exciting. Placing items into categories and organizing is something I love to do. Middle School science was also a content area I enjoyed. The slimier the better-worms and snakes, lizards and salamanders. By the time I entered High School, science became a subject I did not understand. I was not ready to learn chemistry and physical science at this point. Struggling became my past time. Biology was more up my alley with the labels and straight-forward statements. There was too much play in the answers when it came to chemistry and physics. I also have math anxiety so all the numbers were very scary to me.
When I enrolled in college to become a teacher my first choice was history. The advisor talked with me until I admitted my love for middle school science and then my path was set. I'm so glad that she discussed my options with me. Science classes are completely different now that I am interested in the deeper subjects and now that I am old enough cognitively to understand it.
I have to remember as a teacher the issues I had as a student in the science classroom. Some will be ready to label and classify, but not necessarily ready to go deeper into the molecules and atoms that make up the objects in question. Science can be fun, but you have to know your students.

No comments:

Post a Comment